What is a USB pen drive and what makes it the perfect promotional item to distribute to writers? Here’s everything you need to know.
In this article:
- What is a Pen Drive?
- Why Writers Would Love a USB Pen Drive
- Where and When You Can Give USB Pens to Writers
USB Pen Drive: A Promotional Item Writers Will Love
What is a Pen Drive?
A USB pen drive is a writing pen with a built-in flash drive function. It’s a revolutionary way to safely carry around important data wherever you go.
USB pens come in different shapes and sizes. They offer different features that tech-savvy individuals can enjoy.
Some of the common features of USB pen drives include:
- File Storage: As with any other flash drive, a USB pen drive can store various files and data — whether they’re for work or personal use. The number of files you can store in your pen drive depends on its storage capacity. A pen drive with a larger storage capacity can store more data.
- Portability: USB pen drives are small and thin enough to fit in your pockets. Unlike bulky external hard drives, all you really need to do is to insert in your coat or pant pocket, or even in your bag before heading out.
- Writing: Of course, you wouldn’t call it a writing pen drive if you couldn’t use it to write with, would you? What makes USB pen drives so cool is the fact that they also serve as a writing tool, which can prove useful for people who jot down notes and need to carry around a lot of files.
Why Writers Would Love a USB Pen Drive
If you’re marketing to writers, you should definitely consider giving out USB pen drives. You can hand them out as freebies or as incentives to loyal customers.
Here are some of the reasons why writers would love to get USB executive pen drives from you and your brand:
1. They’re Practical and Extremely Useful
Think about it, how many pens do you think your customers receive from your competitors? They probably have a desk full of branded ball pens from different companies.
As a brand, how would you separate yourself from the rest? The answer: give customers a freebie they can use regularly — with a twist.
Sure, other companies may give them pens, but how likely is it that those pens also come with a built-in USB drive?
Whether they’re at the book signing of their latest book or typing their latest manuscript, both the pen and USB components of this promotional item can prove useful for writers.
Tip: Entrepreneurs don’t have to worry about the price because USB pen drives aren’t really that expensive. You can get the best deals on them if you order them in bulk.
2. Versatile Function
One reason it’s difficult to market to writers is that different writers have different styles. While some may prefer to write using their laptops, some may still be kicking it old-school with the traditional pen and paper.
With a regular pen, you may have to gauge which is more important to your audience when deciding on a promotional item. Luckily, you don’t really need to do that because USB pen drives offer both functions.
Writers can use your freebie to jot down notes, write poems, carry programs, and store data, among others.
3. Universal File Access
Do you know how difficult it is lug around a heavy laptop? Well, writers do.
A lot of writers have to bring their laptops with them to various places just to finish articles, manuscripts, and other deliverables. Luckily, they don’t have to bring a heavy laptop around if they have the files they have in a pen drive.
With a pen USB, your customers can access their files anytime they need to even if they don’t have their personal computer with them. They can work at an Internet café, library, or wherever they want, given that they have access to a working computer.
Also, since they’re bringing your customized USB flash drive with them to public places, the chances of someone recognizing your brand increases. Your prospects basically become a walking advertisement every time they whip out the pen drive you gave them.
4. Carries Portable Game Apps
USB pens aren’t just for carrying serious work-related files. Your customers can have a little fun by loading a few portable game apps into it.
There are hundreds of apps and programs that don’t take up too much storage space. Your audience will be glad you gave them an extra thumb drive they can use to unwind after a long day or writing (or to unblock writer’s block!)
5. Runs Open-Source Programs
If you market to a serious community of on-the-go writers, they can use your pen drive to carry around open-source apps. A lot of writers travel with their laptops since other computers may not have the programs and applications they need.
If you give them an extra thumb drive, they can load it with a bunch of open-source programs that usually take up a lot of space. In fact, they can dedicate your freebie for the sole purpose of running open-source applications.
Where and When You Can Give USB Pens to Writers
Want to market your items to writers? Here are some events where you can hand out USB pens to promote your brand to wordsmiths.
- Writer’s Conferences — These types of events gather writers from all over. One example is Writer’s Digest, which is held annually in the US.
- Writing Retreats — Some writers like going on writing retreats when they’re expriencing writer’s block or just get too distracted to write. Try to find organizers or venues and give away a couple of your USB pens, which their attendees can use during the retreat.
- Writing Workshops and Classes — Here’s one way to get budding writers to be aware of your brand. Most workshops offer starter kits that include items the attendees might need for the sessions. A USB pen surely won’t seem amiss in this kit, right?
These are just some of the ways you can entice writers with a USB pen drive. When choosing promotional items, entrepreneurs should go with an item that both represents their brand and provides value to their prospects.
The USB pen is one of the best promotional items you can hand out to writers since they can use it in their craft. There’s no better way of building brand awareness for your brand than giving the recipients something they will find relevant and will use often.
Have you ever used a USB pen drive to market to writers? Share your experience with us in the comments section down below!