“Marcom,” which is industry jargon for marketing communications, is one of the most important types of communications for businesses. It’s also highly complex, so we’ve prepared an in-depth guide to help anyone looking to learn more about this business concept.
In this article:
- What is Marketing Communication?
- How to Define Marketing Communications Objectives
- Why Communications Marketing Matters
- Marcom Can Help Your Business Beyond Just Attracting Customers
- How to Deliver Marketing Messages Effectively
- Marcom Can Also Help in Shortening the Sales Cycle
Marketing Communications | What It Is and Why It Matters to Businesses of All Sizes
What is Marketing Communication?
Candian urban innovation hub MaRS offers a somewhat unique marketing communications definition by describing it as all the messages and media companies use to communicate with their markets. This includes a variety of messages, such as:
- Advertising (print, television, radio, Internet, social media advertising, etc.)
- Direct marketing
- Social media and Internet presence
- Printed materials
- PR activities
- Sales presentations
- Attendance in trade shows
It is more than the message itself, though. It also has a lot to do with how businesses present these messages to their audiences.
How to Define Marketing Communications Objectives
One of the most critical steps in the process is to define marketing communication objectives for your business. There are two objectives when it comes to Marcom marketing.
- Create and sustain demand and preference for business products.
- Shorten the sales cycle for these products.
The first part of the equation is a marathon, not a sprint. It requires businesses to commit long-term efforts and resources to position products and build the brand. Companies who have achieved this goal beautifully in the past include:
- Scotch Tape
Truth be told, these companies may have achieved their goals too well. So well that consumers equate all items of that type with the preferred brand.
Odds are you won’t achieve that degree of success, or at least not the first time out. However, it does offer an excellent example of creating sustained demand and preference for your products.
Why Communications Marketing Matters
The better you understand how important it is to your business growth and success, the more emphasis you will begin to place on your overall marketing communication message.
Without the ability to effectively communicate the value of products to likely consumers, your efforts to build your brand are dead in the water.
Your goal, with every marketing message you deliver, is to inform your audience why they need your product. Only then can you begin to drive home the long term value of your products.
Here are some guidelines to help you craft your marketing messages:
- Explain what your product is.
- Show your audience why they need your product. Tell them how it benefits them.
- Let them see the effect it will have on their lives, businesses, etc.
- Convince them why they should buy your product. And only your product.
The more entrenched your marketing message becomes with your products, the greater the impact it can have on your business and your brand. For instance, an effective communications and marketing plan can help you do all the following:
- Streamline your marketing budget.
- Maintain organization and timelines.
- Profile potential customers more effectively.
- Build a better brand identity.
- Obtain an edge over your competition.
Marcom Can Help Your Business Beyond Just Attracting Customers
While many companies are focused on attracting ideal, vocal, and loyal customers, another benefit of effective communications and marketing is that it attracts talented employees to your business.
Additionally, your marketing communication efforts can also pay off by attracting investors to your business.
These are just a few reasons why the message is so important.
How to Deliver Marketing Messages Effectively
Marcom is vital for businesses of all shapes and sizes to help them achieve greater growth and success. But, how do you do it effectively?
Once you’ve decided on the appropriate marketing message, you must find a way to deploy that message as simply, elegantly, and efficiently as possible. The more avenues you have for delivering the message, the better.
Trade shows are outstanding opportunities for experimenting with your communications marketing. Consider investing in useful tools to present to visitors to your booth that drive your market communication message home to them every time they use your gift.
Marcom Can Also Help in Shortening the Sales Cycle
The other side of the equation is shortening the duration of the sales cycle, which can improve the efficiency of a company. You do this by understanding the buying process of your desired customer.
You accomplish this with a few critical steps.
- Identify customer pain points or the problems they wish to solve.
- Present your product as an ideal solution. Offer information to support that.
- Show customers why your product is the superior option.
- Encourage customers to buy now. Incentivize immediate action.
- Evaluate customer satisfaction and feedback after the sale.
Sales Cycle Definition: The process that a company undergoes when making a sale. Different companies have different steps and activities they include in the cycle depending on their internal guidelines.
Marketing communication may not be as simple as one, two, three. However, when you stay on message, have a clearly defined plan in place, and test your branding and marcom ideas at large events like trade shows, you can accomplish great things for your business and your marketing efforts will all be worth it.
How do you utilize or plan to utilize marketing communications in your business? Do you have any specific channels you’re focusing on? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.