Today, you’ll find answers to some questions you might have about gigabytes and other units of digital measurement.
In this article:
“How Much Is A Gigabyte?” and Other Questions About Digital Units of Measurement
What Is the Difference Between a Bit and a Byte?
A bit and a byte are both digital units of measurement to measure data, but they’re different from each other.
- Bits — The most basic unit of measurement in computers that possess only two values — 0 or 1. It refers to how fast a device transfers data, such as when downloading or can also refer to Internet speed.
- Bytes — These hold about eight bits of data in it. Often, bytes are a measurement of the amount of data one can store.
To avoid confusion on the abbreviation of the two, the rule of thumb is that Bits’ abbreviation is a lower case “b.” On the other hand, Bytes’ abbreviation is an upper case “B.”
This is why megabit is abbreviated as “Mb is, and megabyte as “MB.”
How Many Gigabytes Are in a Terabyte?
Between the two, the bigger data storage capacity unit is terabyte. However, it’s better to discuss the differences between data storage capacities from a broader point of view to give a better perspective.
Here’s a comparison of the different storage capacity measurements, arranged from smallest to largest. Each unit is expressed in relation to the previous unit of measurement to better illustrate and compare sizes.
- Bit (b): 0 or 1
- Byte (B): 8 bits
- Kilobyte (KB): 1,024 bytes
- Megabyte (MB): 1,024 kilobytes
- Gigabyte (GB): 1,024 megabytes
- Terabyte (TB): 1,024 gigabytes
- Petabyte (PB): 1,024 terabytes
- Exabyte (EB): 1,024 petabytes
- Zettabyte (ZB): 1,024 exabytes
When it comes to storage devices, such as flash drives and hard drives, the typical units you’ll encounter are megabyte, gigabyte, and terabyte.
3. How Do You convert Gigabytes to Megabytes and Megabytes to Gigabytes?
Although you can have easy access to online converters, finding out the formula to convert the two sizes can also be useful, especially when you don’t have access to the Internet.
To convert gigabytes to megabytes, divide the megabyte value by 1,024. The formula to follow is GB=MB/1,024.
- How much GB is in 658 MB?
- Divide 658 by 1,024, and you’ll get 0.64 GB.
If you’re doing it the other way around and want to convert megabytes to gigabytes, multiply the gigabyte value by 1,024. Thus, the formula will be MB=GB*1,024.
- How much MB is in 5 GB?
- Multiply 5 by 1,024, and you get 5,120 MB.
4. How Many Gigabytes Are in the RAM of Your Computer?
If you want to find out how much random access memory or RAM capacity is in your computer, then read the following step-by-step guides below.
Find out RAM in Windows 8 or 10:
- Type in “ram” on the search menu.
- Click “View RAM” info under System Settings.
- Under “Device Specifications” and beside the “Installed memory (RAM)” label, you’ll find how much the RAM capacity is for your computer.
Find out RAM in Mac:
- Click on the Apple Menu. On the drop-down menu, choose “About This Mac.”
- A window should appear showing you information about your computer. You can find it in “Memory” under the “Overview” tab.
5. How Many Gigabytes Should My RAM Ideally Have?
The ideal number of gigabytes on your RAM should differ depending on your needs. Higher RAM means better performance, but it also means higher prices.
The amount of RAM differs for different computers, but the average is 4 GB and 8 GB, which could work well if you won’t be using the computer for heavy tasks. There are also computers with 2 GB RAM, but the performance may not be satisfactory, especially if you have multiple programs open.
- If you’re a gamer, then 8 GB of RAM should be your minimum. A lot of games require more out of your RAM, so it is best to have more than 8 GB if you want to play these types of games smoothly and in the best quality.
- More demanding tasks like video editing would require higher RAM for optimal performance, especially if you’re working on higher-resolution videos. For projects smaller than 1080p, an 8 GB RAM might also work provided that there aren’t other programs in the background, which could slow down your computer.
6. How Do You Add More Gigabytes to Your Phone?
Whatever operating system you use, you can use the following tips to help you add more storage capacity for your phone.
The most basic way to add more storage is by removing unwanted files and uninstalling apps you don’t use anymore. If you have a lot of photos that you don’t view or use, then you can try transferring them to different storage.
Another way to add more capacity to your phone is by adding a memory card. The size of the memory card will depend on you, but 32 GB is a good start.
7. How Do You Add More Terabytes to Your PS4?
The standard memory size that comes with the PS4 ranges from 500 GB to 2 TB. Although these might seem like a lot, games are becoming larger. Some games even require more than 100GB of space.
One can run out of memory sooner than expected. Fortunately, there are several options to explore, such as upgrading your console’s internal hard drive or getting an external hard drive.
If you opted for an external hard drive, a USB 3.0 drive with around 2 to 4 TB of space should be sufficient.
To use the hard drive on your PS4, plug it into the USB 3.0 port on the console. After you’ve plugged it in, it’s time to format the drive for your PS4. Here’s how:
- Under Settings, go to “Devices.”
- In the menu that follows, go to “USB Storage Devices.” You should be able to see your external hard drive now.
- Click the “Format as Extended Storage” button. Now, your external hard drive would be the default location for all installations.
Learning about gigabytes and other units of measurement can help you determine how much storage you’ll actually need for your purpose. This can help you avoid getting too little, which can affect your tasks, or way too much, which can be a costly mistake.
We hope this guide has been helpful to you!
Do you have other questions about digital measurement units that we haven’t covered? Tell us by leaving a comment down below!